Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mansion Exploring in the Worst City

So if you haven't already figured out something about me, I have a confession to make. I have a disease. I have a bad case of the travel bug. So does my partner. We are constantly thinking, talking and researching about "the next place". To make a long boring story short, we found these super duper cheap tickets for Medan, Indonesia. Right as Stephen's thinking about hitting that "purchase" button, I find this article about how it is the worst city in Southeast Asia. But like I said, I have an illness. So I said, "Let's do it" and then we laughed and laughed about it. 

I'm here to tell you, it was not the worst place I have ever travelled to. However I wouldn't necessarily recommend you go out of your way to see it. Most of the city isn't traditionally beautiful - it's more grit, iron-wrought industries and pollution. There are pockets of beauty though, like this mansion we explored on our first day there. It was built around 1911 by a Chinese business man. It was lovely to see the art deco, Chinese and Indonesian influence all intertwined together. 

After strolling through all hallways and doorways and peeking through all the windows, we played pool in a random local watering hole and had the locals laugh at my pitiful attempts at hitting the billiard balls. It might not have been the most exciting getaway but we had fun! Stay tuned to read about day 2 in my next post. 







Clothes, bag & jewelry: Thrifted | Shoes: Cotton On

2 comments:

  1. love your skirt!!! And your travel bug not being hindered!! Keep exploring so i can live thro u!!! :) Whats even better is that you hae a partner willing to go with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mix of colors and prints! Great bag, too! <3

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete

Please Drop Me a Line!

09 10 UA-45388413-1